To schedule a percussion audition, please contact Prof. Matt Henry at (314) 516-7970
Entrance Audition Requirements
- Snare drum
- Rudiments - Demonstrate at least 6 rudiments. Rudiments should be played from open (slow) to closed (fast) and back to open, demonstrating control, endurance and proper sticking.
- Required Rudiments: Double-stroke roll, Multiple-bounce roll, Flam tap.
- At least three other rudiments of your choice
- One solo or etude on snare drum (rudimental or concert style), demonstrating technique and musicality.
- Sight reading
- Pitched percussion (xylophone, marimba, vibraphone, timpani)
- Scales - Major scales and one form of minor scales (natural, harmonic, melodic), two octaves in eighth notes at quarter note = 100 (on xylophone or marimba)
- One solo or etude on a keyboard percussion instrument or timpani, demonstrating technique and musicality.
- Sight reading (on keyboard percussion)
- Auxillary percussion
- Demonstrate basic ostinato patterns on the following small percussion instruments: Claves, Maracas, Guiro
- Encouraged Additional Options:
- Demonstrate knowledge of and playing ability of other percussion instruments including, but not limited to the following
- Drum set
- Keyboard improvisation